Friday, June 17, 2011

The weekend is coming…do you have your writing time planned?

If you are like me—employed full time, parent, stressed, harried, rushed, etc…—you need to make the most of your writing time when you get it. It’s taken me years to learn that I can’t just duck into my writing hole and work for thirty minutes when the opportunity does finally present itself. Instead, I’ve learned to plan ahead. You think this would be obvious, but my wife spends more time planning play dates for our kids than I do planning my writing time.

There seems to be something about writing that makes us feel like it has to spontaneous to be genuine, but this suggests that writing only happens when we sit down at the computer. But that isn’t the case. Our subconscious continues to work as long as we continue to work on the book on a regular basis. All planning does is move that subconscious work forward into a plan before we sit down at the computer.
Here are some ideas for planning your next writing time.

Think about the scene you will be writing next, and write down what the goal of that scene is. Ask yourself how it moves the story forward. If you don’t know what the next scene is going to be, then ask yourself what does need to happen next to move the story forward.

Jot down any sensory details that spring to mind to help you get a head start on visualizing the scene when you are at your computer.

List plot details that need to be revealed/introduced/resolved in this scene. If you are struggling with your scene, make this a brainstorming list and put down as many ideas as you can think of. Remember, a good scene has conflict and moves the story forward.

Finally, list ideas for the next scene in case you really get rolling. Even if you don’t, this will give you something to think about for your next writing time.

If anyone else has thoughts on how to make the best of limited writing time, please feel free to share them!

1 comment:

  1. I manage to do a lot of thinking through scenes in the shower. Not sure why, something about getting under the hot water relaxes me and allows me to wrap my head around plot problems, etc. But it's inconvenient, since I can't really write down a hot idea when I'm there. So I make sure to have a pen and pad of paper handy for when I get out, just in case. I know, that's weird and quirky, but I think a lot of writers have places where they can think--walking the dog, driving to work, on the treadmill at the gym--just make sure wherever it is, you have a pen and pad handy so you don't lose that flash of brilliance when it comes

    ReplyDelete